We don't have a whiteboard, so this will have to do.
Recent Topics
Thread last updated on Jan 01, 2018 at 05:53 pm

1 Oct 21, 2017 10:10 pm    

The presentation is here:

https://www.australiascience.tv/live-from-the-68th-iac-lockheed-martins-mission-to-mars/

It's worth watching, although probably not for the reasons LM hoped for. LM tries to stake out a position as a major player, but doesn't succeed. The presentation is full of beautiful marketing images that are so scientifically wrong they're mind-boggling. Their presentation is a combination of small-ball and implicitly calling out SpaceX for choosing liquid methane over liquid hydrogen. Unfortunately, after explaining why liquid hydrogen is so much better, they leave out where this liquid hydrogen is supposed to come from. Apparently, there will be a market, and the private sector will supply it.

Which might be true. If NASA actually builds a Mars Base Camp in orbit, a SpaceX tanker will probably bring the hydrogen it needs.

2 Oct 22, 2017 09:18 am

I should clarify–this isn’t a criticism of the engineers giving the presentation. I think they did a fine job, within the constraints LM gave them. But overall, it seemed more like a justification for building the Deep Space Gateway as a precursor and a desperate plea for Orion.

3 Jan 01, 2018 05:53 pm

I’ve now had the opportunity to read the whole paper at Lockheed Martin Mars Base Camp, and am working my way through the 2016 resources. I think there may be a bit more to this than meets the eye. My sense is that LM is offering up some interesting technologies and infrastructure, but the management still won’t let them acknowledge that their concepts will be supporting rather than in the lead. Even the idea that some commercial entities will supply water to Mars orbit suggests they believe SpaceX is going to be a player; they’re just relegating them to the role of cargo supplier.

The primary problem with this entire concept is that it starts with the premise that everything should be reusable, and then proceeds to assume SLS and the ULA launchers for everything important. I count 12 expendable launches just taking MBC to MBC-Surface Ops (Figure 5) , which begs the question, "Why?" Never mind BFR, why aren’t any of those Falcon Heavies? You can’t argue Technology Readiness Level–FH will make its first flight this month, even if it blows to pieces. SLS won’t launch for at least another year, followed by a 3 year hiatus, and doesn’t even have its real second stage designed.

The only logical answer I can come up with is management not wanting to get ahead of their NASA patrons. The optimist in me says there’s an internal LM plan to make their equipment FH-compatible, to be announced as soon as NASA gives the go-ahead. The pessimist in me says LM management has ordered that using SpaceX vehicles in a leading role is off-limits. for planning. I hope that’s not the case, because I’m starting to think about how some of the SLS infrastructure could be utilized in a joint architecture–just not with SLS as the booster.

Form is loading...